Combat the Winter Blues
Seasonal depression can make getting through the winter even tougher!
Signs of Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Isolation- staying home alone and declining requests to leave your home
- Increased appetite- eating more than normal. Particularly high-fat, high-sugar foods that can leave you feeling guilty the next day.
- Desire to sleep in- when it’s cold outside, it can be tempting to stay under the sheets all day.
- Fatigue- feeling drained after a normal day.
Combat the winter blues
- Get regular exercise- Exercise is THE most underutilized anti-depressant. It can boost mood during and after the workout session.
- Socialize- Actually log some face to face time! Being with people increases our bond and helps us feel good.
- Get sunlight exposure- Get outside for at least 20 minutes a day to soak in the Vitamin D from the sun. If that’s not realistic, consider purchasing a light box.
- Do not sleep in- Sleeping over 8 hours can actually trigger feelings of depression and worsen your mood. Aim for 6-8 hours of sleep a night.